Question Time Spent at Disney Vacation Club Resorts?

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club' started by tombricker, May 25, 2016.

1. tombricker

tombricker Chief Cat Herder Staff Member

Maybe it's just us, but I've noticed that when we stay in DVC resorts, we tend to spend more time doing things at the resort than we otherwise do at other resort-hotels at Walt Disney World.

To me, this is fascinating because it's another element that could (and possibly should) be considered when ascribing an intrinsic "value" to DVC.

Stated differently, if you would otherwise be staying at a Value or Moderate, but would be spending less time at any of those resorts, does that make DVC more attractive by comparison?

I'm curious as to whether other owners or point renters do the same, or if this is just us. Or, maybe we are just spending more time at the resort to help ourselves feel better about the amount we spent buying into DVC. ;)

Rose likes this.
  2. Gemma

Gemma L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Really funny you say this as we just got back from our first DVC stay (renting) and did notice a difference between even just the Beach Club Villas and YC where we have stayed before. It could have just been that we needed a rest but we definitely gravitated back to our resort more (although it maybe doesn't read like that in my trip report!). When we visited OKW I also thought it really felt removed from the parks and resorty feel, really chilled, I could see it being easy to spend time there. On this trip we also both agreed that given the choice of either staying in resort/on property OR park tickets we would pick staying in resort as we love the atmosphere so much and would find so much to do anyway!

tombricker likes this.
  3. mindeola

mindeola L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

I wonder if DVC owners visit more often and therefore can plan more downtime on trips?

Our trips are shorter and once a year . I want to do Disney parks and we do not spend much time at our resort. That is precisely why we have not stayed deluxe yet.

HelloCindy and tombricker like this.
  4. Sydney Herron

Sydney Herron L3: Dreamfinder Presidential Campaigner

I think that is a good point - when my family goes, we spend several days just hanging out around the resorts + at the pools, but our trips are usually no shorter than ten days. If we went for shorter trips, or weren't able to go as often perhaps we'd prefer to spend more time in the parks.
    Edit: Most of the time we stay on points at DVC resorts.

tombricker likes this.
  5. tombricker

Oh, I think this is definitely true. The more often people go, the more likely they are to spend time outside the parks. I think this is true across the board, and not just for DVC members. Of course, DVC members are inherently more likely to be repeat customers, given the whole DVC membership.

I'm talking about our stays at DVC resorts v. stays at other resorts (typically Moderates). Comparing DVC villa resorts to Deluxes would be more appropriate if this were a hypothetical because the amenities are more closely aligned. However, our experience has been that we either do DVC resorts or Moderates (as they are of equivalent "value") most of the time, so that's my actual experience.

Rose likes this.
  6. tombricker

Old Key West and Jambo House/Kidani Village are probably the best examples of DVC resorts with that resort-y feel that are incredibly nice to just enjoy. At AKL, that's a result of the location and animals, whereas I think that's the vibe at OKW since it was the first DVC resort and Disney was still testing what the concept might look like.

Either way, it's an excellent vibe. Even though you can't walk to a park at OKW & AKL, they are wonderful, self-contained "experiential" resorts.

Gemma likes this.
  7. Rose

Rose L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

I typically don't stay on cash reservations (I'm usually able to use my DVC points for 2 trips every year), but when I have, I've stayed at moderates or deluxes. In contrast to @tombricker, I think I spend more time at the resort when on a cash reservation than on points because it feels like I'm spending more money on those stays, even though that's not actually true. But generally, I would say I spend a fair amount of time at the resort when staying on points too.

tombricker likes this.
  8. cdd89

cdd89 L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

There's no need to stay at a DVC resort to be able to explore them. Going to a well themed Disney resort (either DVC or just a great hotel!) is now an essential part of my day and serves as a lovely midday break - there are always great public areas to relax in, or expansive grounds for a good long walk. I don't think staying at a resort would change this, except that it would be nice to see some of these places at night and this would facilitate that.

Since people are mentioning OKW, I feel compelled to mention that I was a tiny bit underwhelmed by it. It's nice enough, but given its size the 'central' area is quite small, the villas are all very "samey", and the glorious green in the centre has a snippy note telling you to get lost if you're not a golfer. I certainly wouldn't stay there, and it's not at all due to its size. This is in contrast to Port Orleans, Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge, Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Lodge which I was totally captivated by.

tombricker likes this.
  9. tombricker

Haha, that's an interesting perspective. I'm far too cheap for the Grand Floridian, but if I ever did pay out of pocket to stay there, I think the per minute cost of the hotel would be in the back of my mind, and I'd feel compelled to spend every second getting as much "value" out of the hotel stay as possible!

10. HelloCindy

HelloCindy L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

The porch or balcony that you get with a villa is what draw me. I really enjoy sitting out on the porch at OKW looking at the water or golf course. We had a great view of Disney Springs from our balcony at SSR last year. I'm a big fan of the larger porches at OKW.

11. CJ3

CJ3 L1: Stitch's Great Escape Fan Club

I totally agree with other posters comments.
    We had DVC at OKW for ten years and always stayed at our home OKW for the atmosphere and size of Accomodation.

Unfortunately we sold and have regretted it so now are looking at buying re-sale.

I don't think we would buy into OKW again but perhaps BLT purely for the ease of renting our points when necessary. This wasn't an option back in the day so will be grateful of this option.

12. IrishHeart575861

IrishHeart575861 L1: Stitch's Great Escape Fan Club

Enjoying the resort is a lovely way to spend a vacation. I love both of our home resorts, but OKW in particular just oozes ...."aaaaahhhh" to me. I can feel my bones relax once we get there! It really feels like comfortable old shoes or well-worn, well-loved jeans. If I'm playing "tour director" or wrangling the grand babies around Fantasyland, I'm pretty happy too.....I love the Mouse! ❤️ But a cool beverage on a sun-dappled balcony..... maybe with a good book.....maybe just day dreaming..... perfection!