Trip Report The Big Birthday Trip (report)

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Gemma, May 18, 2016.

1. Gemma

Gemma L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Last days...

Day 9 - Surfing Typhoon Lagoon, goodbye to the Magic Kingdom and the "3 Spaces"

Tuesday was our rescheduled Typhoon Lagoon surfing day so once again we were at TL for 0645 but this time we actually got in! The surfing started by meeting the instructors on the beach and getting our first coaching tips. If you are considering doing it then it is a great experience - the instructors were really lovely. Each time you are in the water you get two waves (and a choice of large or small), so you surf your first wave and then paddle back in 90 seconds before the other wave goes off. I never managed to stand up on the bigger wave but caught quite a few of the smaller ones so it was really cool. I had never surfed before but my husband had. There are no photographers so if you want pictures you can ask other guests or bring non surfers. My parents came back (they had left Disney by this time but were close by) to meet us and spend time in TL.
    [​IMG]IMG_6463 by travelbug_1986__10, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_6324 by travelbug_1986__10, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_6317 by travelbug_1986__10, on Flickr

I love the theming at TL and could spend ages just wandering around.

After surfing (you get 3 hours so it is pretty tiring!) we spent a couple of hours in TL and had an early lunch and then headed back to the Beach Club.

That afternoon I really wanted to go back to MK one last time and my husband agreed (otherwise I was just going on my own!). We didn't have a goal of doing too many rides, just wanted to soak up the atmosphere. This was probably my favourite day in MK ever. We did do rides AND managed to snare a last minute FP+ for Mine Train, apparently just keeping on hitting refresh does work! We had the choice of two times lots within an hour of when we were looking. Win!

[​IMG]IMG_6349 by travelbug_1986__10, on Flickr

Lady and Tramp's pawprints - usually covered with strollers we were super chuffed to see this on this trip :D

As well as Mine Train we wanted to do Space Mountain which we also FP+'d and bypassed the 40min queue - for the whole trip the most we queued was 20 minutes, it really is avoidable with good planning, I just don't get why people don't bother planning! As we knew we would get the monorail back to Epcot our ride on Space Mountain then triggered our idea to do the 3 spaces in one day. Space Mountain, Spaceship Earth and Mission Space.

As we left MK I took a really long look up Main Street and found it really hard not to be sad, this was made harder by Colors of the Wind playing as we waited for the monorail, I love this song and it made it even harder to leave, it was like Magic Kingdom was making it as hard as possible to say goodbye :( (may be re-listening to that now and trying not to cry!)

Onto Epcot and mission accomplished on the 3 spaces and I even did the more intense version of Mission Space for the first time, which made me feel less sick than the less intense one - weird! My favourite is still Spaceship Earth though, it is my happy place! I just find it so relaxing. Question though! Does anybody else remember that in the scene before Rome burns, when they are talking about the empire, that there used to be a chariot on the road - it was just a projection/lights but I remember it clearly and haven't seen it in years. Anybody else remember this?!

That night as I had snuck in another action packed day ;) by stealth we had room service which was one of my husband's favourite meals on honeymoon and was definitely on his to do list for this trip. We also stopped by France on the way home though and picked up pastries for dessert. I had the tarte au citron and Stu had a tarte au fraise. Both yummy!

Day 10 - Lazy morning, World Showcase, Hollywood Studios and Crew's Cup

After the super early start for surfing we enjoyed a lie in and just chilled in the room/on the balcony before walking over to the Boardwalk Bakery for breakfast Danishes and tea. I was super disappointed by the lack of cupcake choice this year though! I had my heart set on a cappuccino cupcake but there were only 3 choices for our whole trip and none appealed.

We spent the morning in World Showcase absorbing details and looking for topiaries as well as seeing some of the shows/exhibitions we hadn't seen before including Impressions de France. Later we caught the boat to Hollywood Studios for some more TSMM (Stu won 3 for 3 - I was thrilled for him...:mad:), Tower of Terror including some shopping in the gift shop and Rock n Rollercoaster where Stu go to be the RnB star of the show this time!

[​IMG]IMG_6393 by travelbug_1986__10, on Flickr

Although it was our last night we had actually cancelled the big meal we had planned earlier in the week (Cali Grill 2125 reservation - made somebody's holiday with that one!) as we thought we would be in a more chilled mindset and we were right. So we finished our last night how we had started - margaritas and burgers at the Crew's Cup. :) We will get to Cali Grill one day (this is the second time we have cancelled it!)

Last Day :(

When planning the holiday I had thought our last morning deserved some fun so I had booked us the Cape May Cafe breakfast with Minnie and pals. So glad I did. This is my favourite character breakfast - I love Minnie and Donald! Sorry Goofy... he got his own back though...

[​IMG]IMG_6418 by travelbug_1986__10, on Flickr

I really enjoy the food here and it was a great last big Disney meal.

As we then had to check out we didn't want to get too hot with no shower access so headed back to Blizzard Beach and did another round at Winter Summerland. This was agreat way to spend our last few hours in the World and we hopped into BB for lunch - we were going to Epcot but just missed the bus so cut our losses.

[​IMG]IMG_6430 by travelbug_1986__10, on Flickr

Bye Ariel :(

All too soon it was time to board the Magical Express back to the airport. The captain from the Beach Club even came out to wave goodbye at which point (and knowing we wouldn't be back for a long time) I did cry, luckily I had sunglasses on which let me avoid the mocking from my husband ;)

So that was our trip! It was amazing and we made loads of wonderful Disney memories and really soaked up the magic. I hope you've enjoyed reading along and thanks to everyone who is still reading - things got a bit out of hand!

Gemma

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    mindeola, cdd89, Andrea and 9 others like this.
  2. Gemma

Thank you, it was such a good day! I know, we couldn't believe it. Just don't get why you would come to Disney to do stuff like that. We considered reporting it but didn't think anybody could do anything/it wasn't worth making the fuss... I guess you have to laugh it off in the end, their problem!

HelloCindy likes this.
  3. WxManKyle

WxManKyle L3: Dreamfinder Presidential Campaigner

I adored reading your extensive trip report! I'm so jealous! You guys tackled it all and have countless magical memories. WDW really is the greatest place on Earth :)

Gemma likes this.
  4. Gemma

Thank you :) We really did have a great time! Agreed, best place ever!

WxManKyle likes this.
  5. Micharlotte

Micharlotte L3: Dreamfinder Presidential Campaigner

Thanks! I loved reading this!

Gemma likes this.
  6. wwcpd

wwcpd L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Thanks again for taking the time to write this. I love living vicariously! :D

Gemma likes this.
  7. KatieLVT

KatieLVT L1: Stitch's Great Escape Fan Club

Gemma, Thank you so much for your extensive report and awesome pictures. So glad you had a wonderful time. I am a "Scottish-American" if you will, my Dad and his family came over to the US when he was a boy, so love reading all the British terms...reminds me of home with my Granny and Granda :) Speaking of such, did you happen to find a good place for tea while you were there? I would love to find a decent one while I'm there for my trip in November!

8. Gemma

@KatieLVT Hi Katie. Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it, was fun for me to share :) and happy to remind you of your grandparents too! Ha it's funny you should ask, we never got any teabags in our room- had to phone house keeping as we only had coffee. When I phoned I asked if they had an electric kettle, not so much! So we just heated water in the coffee maker! There was nowhere for a really good British cup of tea but the teabags are at least Twinings - my mum brings her own though! You'll just have to make the jump across the Atlantic for a decent cuppa :p

KatieLVT likes this.
  9. Micharlotte

Micharlotte L3: Dreamfinder Presidential Campaigner

We found the same thing and actually packed our own electric kettle and tea bags so we would have our tea every morning! We ran out of room on the way back and left the kettle there.

Gemma and KatieLVT like this.
  10. DisneyDanielle

DisneyDanielle L2: Member of Big Al's Posse

@Gemma thank you for taking the time to post this! So much fun to read along! Sounds like it was truly a wonderful vacation!

Gemma likes this.
  11. cdd89

cdd89 L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Great report!

I wouldn't argue with your husband's five year break, after all there are 5 park-resorts other than WDW to visit, if you interleaved them you'd be going more than yearly ;)

Stephanie D likes this.
  12. Gemma

Genius! :)

Stephanie D likes this.
  13. mindeola

mindeola L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Thanks for sharing your trip. Loved hearing about the Africa trek!