NYNY

Discussion in 'Travel' started by wwcpd, Jun 18, 2017.

1. wwcpd

wwcpd L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Hello Disney Tourist Blog Forum Friends!

Anyone have any advice about visiting NY? I'm planning a trip for the first week of August for myself, my husband and our teen daughter. Already have hotel and airfare, so that's taken care of. I think I want to limit us to Manhattan, as there's just so much to do there, I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Specifically, I'm having a rough time choosing between the Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, and the One World Observatory. Definitely want to do one, but not all 3.

Any and all advice welcome - thanks!

2. Kevin_W

Kevin_W L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

We visited NY last summer for a long weekend and really enjoyed or time. My first advice would be not to stress out about planning. As you say, there is so much to do in Manhattan that you can't possibly do it all. Just pick a few things you'll enjoy and accept that you won't see everything There is always another trip later on. We didn't even see the Statue of Liberty on our trip!

The tour books all say Top of the Rock is better than the Empire State Building, so i'd probably trust them. But I'd pick the one-world observatory of the 3 you have listed. Just to see the site/building if nothing else.

Random things we did over 3 days: the Met, Museum of Natural History, a Broadway show, wander central park & the cetral park zoo, times square and a short trip to a couple shops in that area, walking the city from the times square to the central park area, having dinner in Chinatown, and having a fancy lunch at Nougatine.

We walked quite a bit and took the subway a couple times, but also used Uber once or twice. It's was very easy/nice to pay a few bucks for a car when our feet were tired.

wwcpd likes this.
  3. havoc315

havoc315 L2: Member of Big Al's Posse

New York will be HOT and humid in August, so plan accordingly. A day in a nice air conditioned museum, evening in Times Square instead of mid-day.
    If you have a whole week in NY, I'd probably pick 2 of those 3. They are each in a very different part of Manhattan, giving you a chance to do many other things. One World is way down town... Can pair it with the 9/11 museum, Trinity Church, Wall Street, can even head over to Brooklyn Bridge, South Street Seaport or Battery Park. "Downtown Manhattan" is actually all very close together. The walk from One World to Brooklyn Bridge is only about a half mile.

Meanwhile, near "Top of the Rock" you have Rockefeller Plaza, Radio City Music Hall, Times Square, Museum of Modern Art, and you're not far from Central Park.

The Empire State Building is a bit more isolated from touristy stuff... other than the big Macy's, I can't think of much else around there.

You'll have no trouble filling your time with just Manhattan. But if you do want to venture out, some parts of Brooklyn are wonderful to visit, and there is the Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens in the Bronx.

Definitely see a Broadway show. If you're not committed to any specific show, head to the TKTS booth in the morning and get one of the older shows for 50% off.

wwcpd likes this.
  4. wwcpd

Thanks for your reply!

I'm leaning towards TotR, but my husband is pretty keen on Empire, mostly because of the history and stuff.

Walking is another thing I wondered about. Looking at maps of Manhattan make it look really small, so I'm thinking we'll walk a lot, but then I worry that the distances are much worse than they seem. You mention walking from Times Square (which our hotel is really close to) to Central Park. About how long of a walk is that?

5. wwcpd

I'm not worried about the heat (we live in Las Vegas), but I'm not looking forward to the humidity! I wouldn't have planned this trip for August if I'd had any other choice, but I didn't...

Thanks for the distance help. I was tentatively thinking of doing the Staten Island Ferry, 9/11 Memorial, Trinity Church and walking the Brooklyn Bridge in one day, but wasn't sure if that was feasible through just walking but I guess it would be.

Already have tix for Book of Mormon - really looking forward to that!

Thanks for the reply!

6. havoc315

havoc315 L2: Member of Big Al's Posse

Times Square is a big swath, and Central Park is huge.
    But from 45th and Broadway, to the southern edge of Central Park... probably about a 10-20 minute walk. To get to the center of Central Park... probably a 45 minute walk. The park is truly massive. Decide what part of the park you're hoping to see.

You may be used to heat -- But the heat AND humidity makes things very uncomfortable.

Also, when walking through touristy parts of Times Square... it can be a bit like Disney World at Christmas... the sidewalks are very very crowded.

You can definitely do 9/11, Trinity and Brooklyn Bridge in the same day. The ferry may be overly time consuming, I'm really not sure.

wwcpd likes this.
  7. Kevin_W

That seems about right. the farthest north we went was AMNH and the MET, which from out hotel on 57th street was ~30 minutes. There are bike rental companies everywhere, but we did not try that, and as havoc said the crowds/traffic in places can be high and I'm not sure I'd want to try to ride a bike through it. (Central Park, on the other hand, would probably be fun.)

wwcpd likes this.
  8. CamiloArturo

CamiloArturo L2: Member of Big Al's Posse

I would recomend the Empire State Building. Yes, its not the tallest anymore, but its the one with the biggest history, and it has a certain charm to it.
    On the other hand, don't forget the NAtural History Museum or the MET. Both are absolutely wonderful places to visit. Unless you are in Chicago, there are very few museums with such quality in the entire world....

wwcpd likes this.
  9. Kevin_W

Agreed! We had a great museum year last year, managing to hit both of those, the Field Museum, and the Louvre all in the same year. I actually like the Field Museum a little more than AMNH, but the Met is awesome. It would be a tough call between the Met and the Louvre.

wwcpd likes this.
  10. wwcpd

My museum short list includes: the Met, AMNH, Intrepid, MOMA, and the Guggenheim.

My longer list also includes: the Rubin, Morgan Library, Cooper Hewitt, Whitney and the Cloisters.

I don't have enough time!

11. wwcpd

We too have been fortunate enough to have been to the Louvre and the Field. Can't wait to compare!

12. Kevin_W

True, there isn't enough time. :)

We wanted to do the Intrepid, but our time was even shorter. We saw the USS Midway out in San Diego and I really enjoyed spending a half-day there.

Steven Roman likes this.