Grand Canyon vs. Yosemite

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Kevin_W, May 15, 2018.

1. Kevin_W

Kevin_W L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

We have a 4-day weekend in October this year and we're looking to take a long weekend somewhere. Since it's only a short trip, I'm looking at places we can get direct flights for a reasonable price and two cities are Oakland and Phoenix.

I've never been to the Grand Canyon or Yosemite, and both are onyl a ~3 hour drive from the respective cities, so those seem like they might be good choices. Which would you choose?

2. Gord K.

Gord K. L3: Dreamfinder Presidential Campaigner

Well I've been to one and not the other so not qualified to answer : ) But.. I would suggest that if you decide on the Grand Canyon, side visits to Bryce and Zion are worth it. Makes it a bit of driving trip if on a tight schedule which it sounds like you might be. One thing we didn't do at the Grand Canyon which we would have liked to, time allowing, was hike to the bottom. Supposed to be a bit grueling but I think it would have been fun. Same with rafting.

3. jagwriter78

jagwriter78 L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Yosemite might be fairly cold in October already, especially in the second half. If you don't mind the cold, I'd say go for the autum experience at Yosemite. It's absolutely lovely - if you have nice weather. If it's raining, foggy and cold, it can get quite uncomfortable. Last time we went, it was last week in September and we went from 90° weather in Sacramento to 40° weather at Yosemite. It was a very unpleasant trip to say the least. You also have to remember that most of Yosemite can only be experienced if you do some walking or hiking. Again, bad weather = bad walks or hikes. Plus, some of the trails might even be closed due to weather conditions so you may not get that far (rain probably being your worst enemy during that time which will close down quite a few of the trails. That's all something you have to consider. Personally, I wouldn't want to go to Yosemite again when the weather can be unstable and uncomfortable, especially if you've never been.

Grand Canyon most probably would give you the nicer weather in October and it can all be experienced without long walks or hikes (if you are not into those....).

4. Kevin_W

Kevin_W L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Thanks, Gord and jag. I hadn't thought much about weather that much. I suppose it makes sense that due to elevation it will start getting colder at Yosemite by that time of year. We (or at least 2 of the 3 of us) really enjoy hiking, so the walking isn't a problem but rain could be.

We have a lot more reasons to want to go back to California that Arizona as part of a longer trip, so I think we'll choose the Grand Canyon this time.