Disneyland Paris Restaurant reviews

Discussion in 'Disneyland Paris' started by Nitsaki, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Nitsaki

Nitsaki L1: Stitch's Great Escape Fan Club

I thought I had seen Tom's post on DLP restaurant reviews, but I have been looking for it and can't find it.
    Does anyone have a link to it. We need to decide on how to best use our free halb board Plus meal plan.:)

2. Curt

Curt L2: Member of Big Al's Posse

Nitsaki likes this.
  3. jagwriter78

jagwriter78 L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

If you liked that chicken, you need to try the BBQ roast chicken that is served at Cowboy Cookout Barbeque in Frontierland. In my eyes, it's a lot better than the one at Chalet de la Marionette. The spareribs they serve their are also quite good. Too bad the Cookout was closed on our trip last week.... We always eat there, especially also since it's located at the back of Frontierland, it's rather empty compared to the other restaurants.

4. Curt

Cookout was closed during our visit too. Otherwise, it would have definitely been checked out.

Unfortunately, due to the bad attitude of most of the cast members, and the filthy grounds, this was our first and last trip.

5. jagwriter78

I don't know what nationality you are, but I have to comment on the bad attitude thing. You have to remember the cultural differences here. What people from the US consider rude behaviour is common every day behaviour in France. Just to give you an example (for reference, I am not French, but I am European). About 20 years ago, I was standing at the register at a Target in Baltimore with my pen pal and her mom who I had come to visit during summer break. Everything at the register was perfect to me, just like I was used to from home. When we left the register, my friend's mom started to say she has to go see the store manager immediately because the cashier's behaviour was rude and unacceptable. I had no idea what she was complaining about because to me, everything was just like I was used to from home. Turned out, my friend's mom was going to complain to the manager that the cashier had not said hello and goodbye which she said was unacceptably rude behaviour. In Europe, no one at the register says hello and goodbye to you at any time. If they say that, it's considered extremely friendly and some people may even consider it intrusive that they are even spoken to aside of the regular transaction stuff. So what you may have considered bad attitude and rude behaviour may well have been just natural French behaviour after all. If you are at a queue and just ask how many are in our party and are silent beyond that, that is natural French behaviour. They do not chat you up like they do in the US. That's just not how the French are. They are very reserved and yeah, if you are used to people behaving differently, it can come across as rude or bad attitude but it's not really that.

Also, filthy grounds.... well, again, European thing. People just throw their stuff where they are without looking for the next trash can. There's the floor, jug it there. If you drop something on the floor by accident, just walk on and ignore it. If it's not your personal space or property, it's fair game and you are allowed to lose all common sense. If you'd keep the grounds as clean as say at WDW, you'd probably need a cleaner for every group of 10 or so. In that regard, I admire the Americans and especially the cleanliness and am embarrassed to be a Europen. Advice from me: if you thought DLP was filthy, never ever go to Italy, especially big cities like Rome XD

So all in all, I just want to that this is not a Disney thing. It's a European thing. What ticks me off more (and that most definitely is soley a Disney thing!) is that the rides break down so often. Last week on a busy day, ALL rides at Discoveryland EXCEPT Orbitron were broken! Star Tours came back up first, then Autopia and about noon Buzz Lightyear was luckily also running. Hyperspace Mountatin took until about 2 until it came back up. We headed over to Walt Disney Studios just to find out that both Ratatouille and Crush's Coaster were also down. Personally, I find that to be absolutely unacceptable. Ratatouille was really a hit miss and more down that week than it was up running.

6. Curt

I have been to all disney parks, with the exception of WDW. All, except for Paris, have generated the standard "Disney Magic".

Both Hong Kong and Shanghai kept up the magic. And, Chinese aren't necessarily know as pinnacles of etiquette. The grounds were spotless and the cast members wonderful.

Paris Disney was another story altogether. The grounds were completely unkept and, with the exception of Italian and British cast members, the staff was useless and rude.

Here are some memories ...

Old #35 sat like this all day

[​IMG]

Never actually saw any these tools at work

[​IMG]

Hard day at the park

[​IMG]

But, I do understand it's a "cultural" thing. They are are indoctrinated at an early age ...

[​IMG]

7. jagwriter78

Yeah, I guess that's what I've been trying to say. All you showed there is considered no big deal. It's just how people act and behave. It's their nature and nobody would find that offensive. Most people just don't care, especially the French. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal there's a broken trash can (see broken stuff like that every day) or people stop for a short chat or check messages (side note: most employees at DLP do not have radios, the majority get their messages via phone so that person might as well have checked for something work related, you never know....). I guess if you want WDW standards, you'd have to hire solely American staff. Sometimes I wish they did do that when it comes to crowd control. That's sure something I do miss, and not only at Disney.... but I guess that probably also only works because I found people in the US sure do know how to queue properly. Even if there is no pre-setup queue, they make a queue. Here, people just congregate in a big blob in order to push and shove and everyone be first. I once tried the "if there is an empty spot in front of you, please fill it" approach that works so well at WDW at a big open meeting I was hosting at work.. Yeah, after a dozen attempts of that and not one single person moving and listening, I just gave up. Europens just don't work like that somehow. Also, you have to remember that if you point out to someone that you think they are doing something wrong, the majority of people will respond rather hostile to that so people usually just mind their own business. And in the last few years, that hostility has more and more turned into physical violence, especially in Southern European states.

Also, the problem is that is has gotten fancy to ignore rules and laws. Which I hate hate hate to a passion. Example: selfie sticks not allowed. Signs posted everywhere. "Who cares, I am gonna do it anyway..." I have heard that more often that once. Cast members coming up and telling people they are not allowed and they need to pack them away - what do people do? Either they start arguing and playing the "make me" card or stuffing it away just to bring it back out when they are around the corner. Same goes for smoking. People are being told to stop smoking, same happens. "Make me" or light another cigarette around the corner. To the point people get violent. I guess it goes both ways I'd say? God, I sure hate it to have to apologize for my fellow Europeans so much XD

Question on your last pic: does that kid have a cigarette in here hand? I sure hope it's just a gum cigarette (which btw are still sold here widely and I was surprised to even find them at the Disney candy store at Disney Village). If not, that so damn illegal to let a kid smoke and most definitely someone should have said something.

8. Curt

"I guess if you want WDW standards, you'd have to hire solely American staff." Beyond a few princes and princesses, I didn't run into a single American staff member at Shanghai, Hong Kong of Japan.

The irony with this is the we, the Americans, are always branded as rude and crude.

I never once saw a Paris cast member sweep anything. I would see them pop out of a cast member area, and wander to another, and disappear.

The last picture is a sucker. But, she is pretending she is smoking.

As far as selfie sticks go, I would like to see a disclaimer, at the bottom of the sign saying they are banned, saying that anyone found with a selfie stick will have it taking away and be beaten with it ... One security guard, at Hong Kong Disneyland, thought it would be a great idea! ;)

9. jagwriter78

That's interesting.... I have never ever heard anyone refer to Americans as rude and crude. Prude, yes, but never rude and crude. It's rather the contrary, here Americans are viewed as friendly, warm and welcoming. Huh.

But, but, but, we are Europeans, not Asians. What works in Asia does not necessarily work in Europe XD That's basically all I've been trying to say... Europeans are so damn different to pretty much anything and everything XD

10. Curt

The non-French (British, Italian, Spanish, ...) cast members were able to project the "Disney Magic". Maybe it's not necessarily a "European thing".

11. jagwriter78

I wouldn't count these people as the "norm" because honestly, if you move out of country for a job and basically start a new life for that job, you have to really, really like that job and what you are doing to do so. Otherwise, why would you give up your life in your own country, and even if it's just for say half a year only as a temp worker, and go work at Disney in a job that you could have done in your hometown just the same? Nobody would move out of country for a simple waitressing or cleaning job unless you really like the job or where you work. Because trust me, these people surely do not move because they are paid above average at DLP :rolleyes: And if you like your job and your work environment, you do a good job. But for most people from the Paris area it's just a job like every other and working at Disney is just about as average as working at a shopping mall or a business center.

But I also have to admit, the French invented the "laissez-faire" style of living and sure do live by it....

12. Kevin_W

Kevin_W L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Way late in responding to the original post, but I found this thread (http://forums.disneytouristblog.com...-worst-places-to-eat-at-disneyland-paris.118/) very useful when we were planning our trip.

This post (http://www.disneytouristblog.com/disneyland-paris-top-restaurants-theme/) also helps