D850... should I......

Discussion in 'Photography' started by havoc315, Aug 31, 2017.

1. havoc315

havoc315 L2: Member of Big Al's Posse

Ugh. I'm a D750 shooter. Love it, but I do like new toys....... I was anticipating likely getting the D750 upgrade, when it comes out.
    I assumed the D850 would be priced up around $4000. I thought to myself, "I'll be seriously tempted if it's $3300"...
    Then the price came out at $3300. Now, I have a chance to get a D850 for $3175 total.....

I'm seriously seriously tempted. Holding me back -- It's still an awful lot of money. But I could sell my D750... Making my cost closer to $2200. An awful lot of camera for $2200.

I'm still held back -- I like the size of the D750. Not sure I want a *larger* camera.
    And second.. I really really don't need 46mp...

Someone either talk me into it, or talk me out of it.

2. Mark Johnston

Mark Johnston L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Dude - do it! I'm so far into Canon glass that I doubt I'll ever change platforms. But I've been blown away by upgrading from a mid-level body (70D) to an almost-top-level body (5D Mark IV). The additional features and improved performance make a big difference.

I think the other general advice to remember - if you think new equipment will make you a better photographer (automatically) then don't do it. But if you think having a more powerful tool will make you more efficient - and assuming you can spare the ~$3,200 - then you won't regret it.

3. havoc315

Thanks for the pep talk. Still a bit fearful I'll regret it. I already have a semi-pro body in the d750... so the step up isn't necessarily going to be so big.
    I just packed up a box to sell $1200 worth of glass to KEH to help fund the purchase. And I'll eventually sell the d750 too. So the price isn't the main issue.

I have 2 concerns: I'm not thrilled with adding another half pound. My kit already gets heavy at times.
    Second... I'm worried about the file size. I don't need 46mp..... I'm already often frustrated with the slow speed of importing and processing photos in Lightroom. I often sent my d750 to 12bit compressed just to make the files more manageable.
    The d850 does allow for small and medium raw files... I think medium is 26mp... so close to what I'm used to. But am I wasting the camera by doing that?

4. BBQMonster

BBQMonster L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

I have the D750 and while the new D850 looks interesting I am not planning on running out and getting one anytime soon. When I jumped from the D5200 to the D750 I did because I knew there was a huge difference in image quality between the two. If you don't need, and won't use the 46mp stay with the D750 for another year or two. Look at the last 800-1000 pictures you took and see how many of them would have turned out better if you used the D850. If they would have turned out better with the D850 then make the jump otherwise wait a year or so and see what Nikon comes out with next.
    Just my two cents.
    BBQMonster

Mark Johnston likes this.
  5. havoc315

Excellent points.. but not always so simple.
    Of my "keepers".... an upgrade would make very little difference. But the increased resolution would theoretically make even those images, a little bit better.
    But what about the non-keepers? How many poorly focused shots, would have been gotten with the superior af system on the d850?
    Or how many non-keepers of birds/wildlife etc, would have become keepers with the extra cropping latitude?
    Or how many shutter shocked shots, would have benefited from the d850 silent shutter?
    Or how many slightly back/front focused shots may have been saved by the d850 auto fine tune?
    How many high ISO shots would have benefited from another stop of latitude?
    How many images did I skip taking, that I would have taken if I had a silent shutter?

It's not easy for me to answer these questions. Then there is the next difficult-to-answer question, how much would the user experience improve?
    Larger and brighter viewfinder. Touch screen. Easier photo sharing (though really just of preview images). Just a faster, more responsive camera.
    Or will the extra weight make it a worse shooting experience.

Certainly... it's not the kind of jump one gets going from aps-c to full frame. I definitely don't -need- this upgrade by any definition.

Whether it will meaningfully improve my images and experience.... really not an easy question to answer.

BBQMonster likes this.
  6. BBQMonster

You sound like you have already sold yourself on the D850. I am in the process of saving for\talking my wife into letting me get the 24-70 2.8 so my photography budget will be blown for the next year or so which makes it easy to talk myself out of the D850. Let us know when you get it.
    BBQMonster

7. havoc315

I've decided to *try* it... Figuring I can return it if I'm not thrilled with it.
    The budget isn't a huge issue. Yes, it's expensive. But for me, it's a hobby... and I do just enough professional work to cover my hobby. I just sold an image of Volcano Bay for $250... I have $300 of photo jobs lined up this weekend, and another $400 for later in the month.... I'm earning about $800 teaching photography this fall.... I'm selling about $1500-$2000 of old gear. So that all pays for the D850 without draining my regular income.
    I'm considering selling my Tamron 24-70/2.8 if you'd have any interest.

Mark Johnston and BBQMonster like this.
  8. richey

richey L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

I would jump on an D850 in a heart beat if I didn't already have a D5. I'm shopping around for a 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8 so the D850 as a backup body will have to wait. I usually make one big photography buy a year. Last year was the D5 and this year is going to be something longer than my 70-200 VR II.

9. havoc315

The backlog in orders gave me time to think... and cancel my pre-order.
    I realized I wasn't really "excited" about the new camera, especially as I read reviews.
    It has some features I want, absolutely. But not enough for me to justify $3000+ right now.
    As I read reviews of the image quality, it really hit home that any IQ upgrade over my D750 is going to be minimal in real world shooting. (Which of course I basically already knew... but the reviews have made it sink in).
    Yes, I want a touch screen, electronic shutter, 30% increase in AF spread, AF auto fine tune, better battery life, faster more responsive camera, etc.
    But I'm not sure I even want the more megapixels... and I know I don't want the extra weight.

So I'll hold off for now. I'll keep my eyes open for a D760... for possible Nikon mirrorless. Maybe someday I'll even switch systems again. But for now, I'll keep my wallet closed.

BBQMonster likes this.
  10. BBQMonster

Now you can go Lens Shopping.
    BBQMonster

11. havoc315

lol, don't tempt me. But I'm actually very happy with my lens library. For my Nikon full frame, I'm covered from 11mm to 420mm, between zooms and primes.
    Primes at 11, 45, 85, and 300, 300+ 1.4TC=420. And I'm happy with all 4 lenses.
    Zooms... I'm covered at 18-35, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/4.
    Plus I have a macro.

So if money simply grew on trees.... I don't have a 70-200/2.8, but I really don't want/need one. I don't really shoot indoor sports, and I wouldn't want to carry around the weight.
    I don't have a long telephoto... a 100-400+ type. But I can use my primes at 420mm. If I was doing some sort of wildlife safari, I'd want a long zoom. But I don't have much use for one now.
    My Tamron 24-70/2.8 (first generation) actually sometimes gives me problems.... Might just be dirty contacts... stopped focusing for a bit until I took it off and put it back on. Sometimes the VR acts really funny. So upgrading the 24-70/2.8 is something I might want to do eventually.... but it really isn't a priority. Typically, it performs as I'd want it to. And I resort to my 45 and 85 prime for many of my "normal view" shots anyway.

My Sony e-mount library is more limited, especially since I just sold off a few lenses. But I'm covered from 10mm to 200mm (effective 15mm-300mm). Zooms at the ends (10-18 and 70-200), and primes in the middle (35mm and 50mm).

BBQMonster and Mark Johnston like this.
  12. DWImaginography

DWImaginography L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

I'm in a weird spot for the d850. Price is definitely awesome compared to what I thought it would be, but I do not need 46mp. Plus, at that size, you're going to start noticing camera shake a whole lot more.

I'll wait and see if there is a d750 replacement and what it offers before getting the d850. I'd also like to see someone properly test the lower mp modes, like the 25mp size file on the d850.

BBQMonster likes this.
  13. havoc315

There are questions of whether the downsized files are true raw.... but putting that aside....
    While I had some of those same thoughts, I decided, why pay for a 46mp sensor, if I'm only going to use 25mp images?

My hope is that they released a D760 with 95% of the greatness of the D850, but a lower MP sensor.
    My fear, is that they will intentionally hobble the D760... leave out some of the best D850 features to push people to buy the more expensive model.

In other words.... look at what they did in the D7200-->D7500 "upgrade." They took out some of the "pro" features to make it more of a consumer camera, and push enthusiasts/pros to the D500.
    I hope they don't cheapen the D760 in the same way. I'm hoping it is basically D850 tech.... in the D750 body, and a NEW 24-32mp sensor. (Time to retire the D600/D610/D750 sensor... and don't use the D5 sensor.... a new mid resolution, high IQ sensor).
    Obviously, I'm not expecting the huge .78 viewfinder. I'm not expecting an XQD slot. But give me the D5 AF system. Give me the new live view features such as electronic shutter. Give me the improve meter sensor. Touch screen. etc, etc.
    Price it at $2000-$2500, and I'm probably in.

14. DWImaginography

DWImaginography L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

a lot of people believe there will not be a d750 replacement

also, at $2500, i'd rather just buy the d850

15. havoc315

Even if they were both $3300 --- I would take the D760. *** If it was a light weight 24mp version of the D850.
    The size and weight is a big issue for me. I aim to keep my cameras and lenses under the 800 gram each mark, as much as possible. I find that's my weight limit before I start feeling it in my back and arms over a long day of shooting.

I'd be surprised if there was no D750 replacement -- It's a top selling successful camera for them. They just want to let sales of the D850 play out before giving people a cheaper option.

There is a question of whether it will be a TRUE D750 upgrade -- Or whether it will really be a D610 replacement and called the D760. I do think they will merge the D610 and D750 lines..... but I'm hoping that doesn't mean dumbing down the D750.

Worst case scenario -- THey keep using the old sensor of the D5 sensor. They keep the current AF system. Upgrades are basically just snapbridge, AF fine tune, 4k video. And maybe even downgrades like a single SD slot.
    Not even a true upgrade of the D750... more of just a minor "refresh."

If they go that direction, I'll consider the D850... but I'll also just consider changing systems.

16. Mark Johnston

Mark Johnston L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

Come over to the dark side! (Or is it the red side?)

Every time someone switches to Canon, an angel gets its wings. ;)
    (Paraphrasing a quote from "It's a Wonderful Life")

17. havoc315

Lol, it would be Sony, I already have experience in the system.
    But I'll say this -- I got to handle the 5d4... very nice. And if Nikon had that live view, I'd bet set.