Question Beauty and the Beast Live Action Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gyroscopes & Magnetisms' started by tombricker, Mar 30, 2017.

1. tombricker

tombricker Chief Cat Herder Staff Member

I assume a lot of you have seen this by now...any thoughts? We still haven't gotten around to seeing it, and the reviews I've heard have been fairly mixed.

2. DisneyDanielle

DisneyDanielle L2: Member of Big Al's Posse

First of all, I will admit that I am biased because the original is my favorite movie. But with that said, I just cannot see the point of this remake. It was really, really horrible. Practically everything about it- from the acting, to the autotuned singing, to the onslaught of unecessary cgi- was just bad. I would recommend to simply rewatch the cartoon instead :)

tombricker likes this.
  3. Andrea

Andrea L2: Member of Big Al's Posse

I personally loved it, even though the original is my favourite Disney movie as well. I especially love the soundtrack of the new film - all songs except "Be our Guest" have been re-imagined beautifully imo plus they added a few gorgeous new tunes ("How does a moment last forever" & "Days in the Sun" are just beautiful). Like I said, the bigges fault imo is the new "Be our Guest".. Ewan McGregor just can't measure up to the original with thake fake accent of his.. I personally think that the CGI was not as bad as i had expected/feared it to be. It still has a way to go, but compared to "The Jungle Book" it was quite alright i think.

tombricker likes this.
  4. richey

richey L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

I'm kind of "Meh" on the Beauty and the Beast hype. It just seems like people have completely lost their minds (even worst than Star Wars) over this move and it's merchandise. If you don't like it or care much about it you better not make a comment in many of the Facebook groups or you might get kicked out or hunted down with pitchforks or both for being a meanie.

5. aymiewilson

aymiewilson L3: Dreamfinder Presidential Campaigner

BatB is my all-time favorite Disney animated film, is about my favorite princess, and has some of my favorite songs. Plus the ENTIRE original score just gives me chills. I was hoping for the most wonderful remake in the world (which in hindsight was kind of silly), and I didn't get it, but I STILL really enjoyed it and planned to go see it a second time. From my POV, here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
    • Increased backstory for Belle and Prince Adam, as well as some fleshing out of Gaston and LeFou. I always enjoy learning more about characters.
    • New songs are great! Particularly the Beast's new one, and Dan Stevens did a bang up job of singing it.
    • The score sounds even better. I think they used a bigger orchestra when they recorded this one, or maybe recording equipment has just improved.
    • The movie is beautiful. The set design, the costumes in particular. Just amazing.
    • Josh Gad is just aces as LeFou, and I though that Dan Stevens did really well as Beast.
    Cons:
    • Emma Watson can't sing. Her voice in "Belle" is so heavily auto-tuned that it made me want to throw something at the screen. After that song, I guess I just got over it.
    • "Be Our Guest" just.... didn't do it for me. Part of it is Ewan MacGregor, who I expected more of given his performance in Moulin Rouge. Maybe the song was in a bad part of his register?
    • I was a little sad that Gaston and LeFou weren't as much of a comedic duo in the live action movie as they are in the musical version. They were my favorite part of the musical version, TBH.

tombricker and Andrea like this.
  6. JereMary08

JereMary08 L1: Stitch's Great Escape Fan Club

Loved it. Totally agree with the overuse of auto-tune for Emma Watson. While I thoroughly enjoy her as an actress, I feel that Disney miscast for that role. Dan Stevens is a beautiful, beautiful man. I cried a lot near the end. #noshame I would like to see it again in 3D just to experience "Be Our Guest".

aymiewilson and tombricker like this.
  7. tombricker

Really interesting to hear the range of opinions here; thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I'm in no rush to see it at this point, so I'll probably just see it eventually on a flight or something...

8. Michael Greiner

Michael Greiner L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

I enjoyed it far more than I thought it was. I went in with low expectations, as there really is not reason for it to exist in my opinion. The original is pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned, and I just don't see the point in remaking all these great animated features as "live" action. That being said, I enjoyed most of the things they added, including the expanded character backgrounds and the new songs (although I wonder why they didn't just include some songs from the Broadway show if they felt they needed more). The score sounded amazing and I found the cinematography to be very well done. My two main complaints would be pretty much the same as aymie above... Emma Watson was not very good vocally, and Gaston wasn't as over the top as I feel he should of been. Still though, I went in expecting to not like it much at all (My wife and my niece really wanted to see it or I probably would have passed on it altogether), and ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

aymiewilson likes this.
  9. aymiewilson

aymiewilson L3: Dreamfinder Presidential Campaigner

The sets and costuming are so beautiful though! You won't get that on a tiny seatback screen. See it in a discount theater maybe?

mindeola likes this.
  10. mindeola

mindeola L4: EPCOT Centrists Executive Cabinet

I thought it was almost perfection. I have seen it twice and would love to go for a third viewing before it leaves theatres. The original is my favorite Disney movie, so I had lower expectations. I was very pleasantly surprised and it moved me to tears in a couple of places.

The cinematography was stunning. There was a time in the second viewing where I felt a little dizzy in a couple of the scenes. I did not feel that way in the first viewing so I am thinking it might have been my seat location.

I felt like Josh Gad was LeFou come to life. I think he was absolutely the best possible casting choice. It took a little while for Gaston to grow on me. He looked the part, but I expected some over the top muscles. He ended up really growing on me and I enjoyed his performance. I do not think I have ever seen Emma Watson in anything ( not even HP!) and I thought she played Belle beautifully. I do not know enough about music to know if she was technically good or not or auto tuned to the hilt. Though, even my untrained ear knows she can't compare to Paige O'Hara. I still thought she was pleasant to listen to.

I loved that Kevin Kline played her father. I really enjoyed the further backstory there and the little details in his workshop. I liked Ewan McGregor's performance, but he is one of my favorite actors. I can never find fault in his work. I am a Dan Stevens fan, but I feel like someone else could have done a better job at this role. He was good and I liked him better the second time. I'm not sure, he just wasn't quite there for me.

11. Churro Chicka

Churro Chicka L1: Stitch's Great Escape Fan Club

I know I am late to this thread but I just joined and I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I went into this film not going to compare it to the original because that is definitely a classic. That being said I was pleasantly surprised by the Live Action Version. The Performance by Josh Gad as LeFou stole the show and Dan Stevens was also very good and his performance on "Evermore" was fantastic. I also thought Emma Watson did a good job playing Belle, but was not fantastic.

12. tombricker